MAC Cosmetics has been on the front lines of the fight against HIV and AIDS since 1994. And this year, the brand reaches it’s 25th year of contribution to the cause. And how do you reckon they’re celebrating? By relaunching their OG Viva Glam Lipstick – in a collector’s item packaging.
Back in 1994, the brand collaborated with draq queen, RuPaul, and announced that 100% of the proceeds would go to the M.A.C. AIDS Fund. Moreover, the brand brought in model Winnie Harlow to recreate the first VG campaign.
MAC VIVA GLAM LIPSTICK
The original MAC lipstick is an intense brownish blue-red matte lipstick. The 25 year mark packaging is a sparkly, crimson coloured tube. Additionally, this year the brand also supports charities specific to women and girls, and the LGBTQ+ community. They also have a new umbrella – the MAC Viva Glam Fund – which also includes Planned Parenthood, GLAAD, and Girls Inc.
But that’s not all. MAC will also be selling their Viva Glam II and III lipsticks, with all proceeds going to the MAC VG Fund.
In it’s campaign video, the brand brings in faces such as those of Aquaria and Troye Sivan. Other MACtivists include Jacob Bixenman, Princess Nokia, Mari Malek, Dara Allen, Eileen Kelly, Deja Foxx, Lea T, Alex Mugler, Parker Kit Hill. The campaign also features MAC artists Bradley Miller, Nisha Sirpal, Kiekie Stanners, Daiana Gonzalez, Allen Li, Carlisha Gizelle, Schuron Womack.
- Matte, Viva Glam I – brownish blue-red matte
- Satin, Viva Glam II – creamy subdued pinkish-beige mauve
- Matte, Viva Glam III – muted brownish plum
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- GLAM-FOR-LIFE: 1 lipstick buys 254 condoms to prevent the transmission of HIV.
- GLAM-FOR-ACCEPTANCE: 1 lipstick purchases a full day of meals for two homeless LGBTQ+ youth.
- GLAM-FOR-RIGHTS: 1 lipstick tests 14 pregnant mothers for HIV to support the health of women.
The 25 year Viva Glam is available to shop at MAC stores and online.